Swim season preview

This year the swim team will be experiencing their season a little differently than last year.

“Last year with masks and COVID, we couldn’t have our regular team outings, and cheering on the deck was a lot harder,” junior Jake Ellington said.

The COVID restrictions prevented the team from getting to participate in a handful of meets.

“I am most looking forward to the meets that got canceled last year, especially the East Central relay meet because the meet is all relays and they’re a lot of fun to do with your teammates,” junior Maddie Johnson said.

The team has high expectations going into this season.

“My expectations for the team are to keep the train we had going last year. Last year was our best year. Aside from the great group of guys we had last year, I think it was the team spirit that brought us to our best. I hope to keep going further this season and do even better with some new incoming freshmen,” Ellington said.

The team has more athletes than they have seen in a few years, and the depth has them set up for success.

“We lost a few seniors last year, but we brought up a greater number of freshmen this year. Our depth has improved, and we have athletes talented in all events,” Ms. Annie Peters, assistant coach, said.

Some of the incoming freshmen have different expectations as they transition out of the middle school swimming environment.

“I think high school swimming is going to be different from middle school swimming when it comes to how intense it is and that the expectations for training and times will be higher,” freshman Chloe Vitatoe said.

Despite the team missing out on quite a few traditions last season, there were still some good memories made in terms of team bonding.

“I think my favorite memory was at the end of the season. We weren’t allowed to attend girls Sectionals in person, so we decided to gather at someone’s house. We all huddled together around the TV to cheer on the girls at home,” Ellington said.

The team has high standards to meet after the success of last year’s team bringing a total of six athletes to State; four returned to compete at finals. Other championships also stood out due to the team’s success.

“The team surprised us at Conference with some outstanding swims. Conference isn’t always a meet that you see swimmers competing at peak shape because they are so tired at that point in the season. Despite not being tapered, we saw some of our best swims of the season that meet,” Ms. Peters said.

The team’s first co-ed meet is Monday at Plainfield.