Cinco de Mayo: the misunderstood holiday

Elijah Poe, Editor In Chief

Cinco de Mayo is one of the most misunderstood holidays.

While most people in America think it celebrates the Mexican Independence Day, in reality, it is a story of how the town of Puebla de Los Angeles was able to halt foreign invaders and overcome the French Army.

Mrs. Angela Aragon, Spanish teacher, described how the holiday is misconstrued in U.S. and not as big a holiday as Americans make it.

“It is celebrated more here than it is in Mexico and is more as a commercialized thing just like St. Patrick’s Day. I do not really celebrate it in here; we talk about it so they know what it is actually celebrating. Most people think it is Mexican Independence Day, but it is not, so I make sure the students know when Mexican Independence day which is Sep. 16. Cinco de Mayo is more of people wanting to go to Mexican restaurants,” Mrs. Aragon said.

Why most American see so much Cinco de Mayo stuff today is because of corporations who have commercialized the holiday for profit. Companies like Chipotle and Corona use the holiday to set deals to bring in business. Setting deals to profit off a Mexican holiday that less than 10 percent of Americans know the true meaning is using the traditions and holidays of Mexican culture, according to NationalToday.

In Mexico, instead of it being commercialized, Cinco de Mayo is used as a ceremonial day to remember the Battle of Puebla. While Americans celebrate it widespread throughout the nation, in Mexico, is it more regional to the Puebla de Los Angeles.

In Greenwood, even families with Mexican heritage do not celebrate the holiday.

“It just is not something big someone in the US will celebrate. It is bigger to celebrate in Mexico because that is the day they won the battle of the Puebla, but here in the US, we just use it as a day to hang out and eat food,” senior Angel Quintero said.