PowerHour returns to mid-day

Dominik Williams, Reporter

Two years ago in the midst of COVID chaos, GHS switched PowerHour from the middle of the day to the end of the day.

PowerHour underwent a major change to meet social distancing rules; there was not enough room in the cafeteria for all the students to sit and eat in only two lunches. So, for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years, PowerHour took place at the end of the day, and students were assigned specific lunch times based on their fifth period classes.

With it being at the end of the day, students had more options. If students were passing all their classes, had nothing they needed to stay for, and had a way to get home, they could leave school 30 minutes early. Students loved this freedom, and some left early every day because they were responsible and kept their grades in check.

Now that PowerHour is back in the middle of the day, that option is gone. Students are now required to stay for PowerHour, regardless of their grades. However, students now get to choose which lunch they attend.

Although I think there are pros and cons with each style of PowerHour, I believe that having it in the middle of the day is a better option. It encourages students to get help in classes they are struggling with. When given the option to leave or stay and work, most students would choose to leave. However, now that they are not able to, they are more likely to seek help in classes they are struggling with.

Another great thing about PowerHour’s new time is how it gives students a break in the middle of the day to relax and hang out with their friends instead of having seven straight periods of classes. Students who do not need assistance in classes can go to PowerHour with their friends to talk, hang out, or even do school work together. Clubs can meet and will probably draw more members, too.

Overall, I think PowerHour’s time is much better now that it’s changed from the end of the day and benefits the students in many more ways.