Admin addresses dress code

Unlike other schools, the administration is not too harsh about the dress of their students, but there are limits. 

I’m all about fashion and feeling good about themselves, but then again, we are at school, so I don’t think the butts and stomachs need to be hanging out, and I think sometimes some of the things that the kids wear takes away from learning. There is a time and place for everything, and school is not the place,” Principal Michael Gasaway said. 

Most of the students do not agree with the school dress code because they do not see why the administrators think that everything the students wear is distracting. 

“I think the dress code is pretty stupid. I just think people should be allowed to wear what they want, especially if it doesn’t hurt anyone. I don’t really understand the whole shoulder thing and the shorts thing. As a guy, we just don’t get distracted about that stuff,” senior Brayden Holman said. 

Since the administrators have cracked down on the dress code lately, some students are going to be more cautious about what they wear. 

“I will probably not wear low shirts and short shirts anymore. I don’t think I am distracting other students, and I think it is more distracting for us if we are constantly worried about whether we can wear certain things or if we are going to be in trouble or not,” junior Chloe Economou said. 

Over the years, there has been a big debate about whether the dress code is sexist or one-sided

“I think the dress code is very one-sided because I’ve never seen any guy ever even get a warning about their clothes and I feel like girls get dress-coded all the time,” Holman said. 

Even though the students may not agree, everyone must follow the rules.
“Some people here think that they run this school like they get to at their own house, but they don’t understand that they can’t do whatever here at school. At home, some kids aren’t the most respectful and may cuss a lot, but once they get here, that needs to be cut off. Personally, I have never had an issue with a student blatantly ignoring me, but I know that some can be sneaky and just put their hood or hat back on once they pass the corner or something,” Mr. Gasaway said.