Prom early release shot down

Many students, specifically female students, are upset at the way this year’s Prom is scheduled.

This year’s Prom will be on Friday, April 19th, at the Scottish Rite Cathedral. Historically Prom took place on a Saturday but due to pricing and availability this year’s dance had to be on a Friday.

Girls typically take longer to get ready than boys, especially for an event like Prom.

“Before I found out that we had school on the day of Prom, I was planning to go get my hair done, nails done, and get ready with some of my friends,” senior Lilli Vaziri said. “Now that we have to attend school for the full day it is going to be a super packed day.”

Some couples were planning on spending the day with each other leading up to prom.

“Mavrick and I were going to hangout during the day before Prom, but having it on a school day is going to make it a lot harder to find time to see each other,” junior Avery Guilfoy said.

The full day of school could also affect students’ dinner plans.

“I was planning on going to get ready with my friends, and, then, we were all going out to eat before we went to Prom. Without the full day to get ready, I am not sure that we will have time to get ready and go to dinner without being super late to Prom,” senior Mariah Butler said.

For guys, it is less life or death to have the extra time.

“Obviously, I would rather go to school for less of the day, but it does not affect me getting there on time and doing everything I want to do. It will not take me that long to get ready, and my only plans were to go to dinner before, which I can still do,” senior Jaxton McClain.

The administration, especially Principal Michael Gasaway, have flirted with the idea of early release on the day of Prom.

“We have talked it over, but decided that we will not have an official early release. The only rule that needs to be followed is the same as the rule for athletic events, which is that students need to attend at least five periods of the school day,” he said.