Johnson County track meet

By Max Flowers, Davion Jones, Will Riley

Track is officially starting up, and County is an exciting event to prove what Johnson County school is on the top of the hill. 

Track is a sport of pure athleticism and strength. It allows those gifted abilities and those who have worked hard to become a top performer to compete with other hard workers. 

Junior Alex Kramer has been a state competitor and could dominate the upcoming meets including county. 

Greenwood track team practicing for the Johnson County track meet.

“I have been working hard in the weight room with many other hard workers on the track team and our future seems very bright,” Kramer said.

Senior Amare Middleton’s first idea was to do baseball, but he had a change of mind and joined the track team. Middleton has been a great addition to the team and has been working extremely hard.

“I have been working really hard for the county meet in practice and outside of practice over the weekends,” Middleton said.

Senior Brett Rodgers is a top competitor in the Johnson County 400 race. Rodgers has great stamina throughout his race.

“I like to focus on my breathing in practice which makes me able to keep my breath throughout the entirety of the race, and for the last 50 meters, I push through as hard as I can,” Rodgers said.

Junior Jay Carter is a long jumper, and he has only been practicing the field event for a year. Carter was not too far from competing at State, and he will definitely be a top performer for long jump at County. 

“My favorite thing to do before I perform a jump is to listen to music and to get my correct distance,” Carter said.

Freshman Ajay Weathers placed first for discus in the first meet of the year. Weathers will be competing in the meet as a freshman.

“It is a great opportunity to compete in the County meet as a freshman; I can not wait to represent Greenwood, and I hope I have a great performance,” Weathers said.

Junior Josh Carrol is an impressive hurdler and will bring great competition to the 110 meter hurdles. 

“I have always run hurdles, and I have worked really hard to get where I am. I am excited to compete at the Johnson County meet,” Carrol said.