Runge: behind the scenes

Many students do not consider what the life of a teacher looks like outside of simply teaching in the classroom.

Mr. Jeremy Runge, history teacher, explained what being a teacher is like and how lessons are planned.

“There are certain things that I am required to teach according to state standards, but I can do pretty much whatever I want within those standards. I try to find things that are interesting for my students and that will keep people engaged in the topic,” Mr. Runge said.

Another interesting part of teachers’ jobs is how they grade work.

“For my classes, how harshly I grade depends on the level of the class. I grade much harder for my ACP class than for my normal U.S. History class. Regardless of the class, I usually try to look for main points that we talked about in class in students’ work,” Mr. Runge said.

Sometimes, one teacher can teach different classes throughout the day.

“I teach two periods of ACP, three periods of U.S. History, and one period of World History, and have a free period during first. The biggest difference between my classes is obviously the content. Different classes learn about different topics, and some will go more in depth than others. The one thing I try to keep consistent is doing similar projects between the classes, like presentations,” Mr. Runge said.

Often, teachers have homework just like students.

“I haven’t really had to do much grading at home over the years. This year is the first year I really have. Being my first year teaching ACP, it’s a lot more work for the students, which is obviously more for me to grade, but I try my best not to let it get in the way of my life at home and my time with my family,” Mr. Runge said.