The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Soccer teams to face challenging Sectionals

All this hard work is about to be on display as the Woodmen soccer teams head into Sectionals.

The boys team went down in the first round of Sectionals last year to Roncalli, but they believe they have prepared for a better showing this time around. 

”This year we are a more organized team, and we communicate with each other better than in prior years,” senior Gavin Armstrong, striker, said. 

The boys team went 8-9 last season, including the Sectional loss.

“This season has been pretty good so far, and we have one of the more talented teams we have had in awhile. We also worked very hard this off-season in hope to capitalize off of this,” senior Fabian Martin, midfielder, said.

Confidence is a key part to every great team, but it is also important to see what is wrong, even if it is something little, and fix it. This is especially important as the teams near big games and the tournament.

“Our biggest problem that we need to fix is the structure of our team. For example, we get too close to each other sometimes or are out of position which allows teams to attack easier on us. We also just need to understand each other better to understand what we are going to do before we do it,” Martin said.

The girls team is coming off a great season with double digit wins, but this is still not enough as they intend on improving the record and making a run in Sectionals. 

“This year our team plays better because of the bonds that we have made. We also got a new assistant coach to go along with Coach Applebaum, and they both push us to be the best plays we can be every day,” junior Ava Griffin, center back said.

The team has come in hot with some key veterans and new talent, and this has led to some great play from the team to get the goals they need.

“The best play was when someone crossed the ball over to try to score and then Lilly Rollings was able to play it in giving us our first goal against Perry Meridian,” senior Alyssa Hamm, forward, said. 

In the big games for any sport it is important to be 100 percent ready to play. This starts before entering the field or court. 

“One thing I do to get ready is to get in the mindset so I’m not in my head for the game and I can play my best,” Griffin said.