March Madness predictions

March Madness is one of the best tournaments in sports.

This season has had lots of changes at the top of the rankings. Three teams that have consistently been ranked high have been UConn, Purdue and Houston.

UConn is the favorite for most people to win it all due to their experience. UConn went home victorious in last season’s tournament, and they returned most of the essential players from that team. They also added Cam Spencer, a transfer from Rutgers, who has been one of the leading scorers for the Huskies. 

Purdue is led by reigning National Player of the Year Zach Edey. They are currently at the top of the Big Ten. The Boilermakers have been sparked by the improvement of sophomore point guard Braden Smith as well as the addition of senior guard Lance Jones from the transfer portal. 

Houston has seen lots of success from their guards. Experienced guards, such as Jamal Shead and LJ Cryer, have brought athleticism and toughness that has helped propel the Cougars to the top of the Big 12, arguably the best conference in college basketball this season. 

There are also some teams that have an underrated chance at making a run in the tournament. The Creighton Bluejays are projected to be a 4 or 5 seed this tournament. The Bluejays have multiple notable wins, such as UConn and Alabama. Creighton had a solid tournament run last season, and they only lost one starter from that team. 

Another team that could surprise people is Washington State. The Cougars have had a very strong season in the Pac 12 conference and are looking to make the tournament for the first time since 2008. The Cougars are projected to be around a 5 or 6 seed, and will be a dangerous game for teams in the 2nd or 3rd round. Washington State is coming off of a big win against top 10 ranked Arizona, which should help fuel them going into March.

There are always upsets in March Madness. Last season, it was 16 seed Fairleigh Dickinson over 1 seed Purdue. One team that could pull off an upset this season is Princeton. Last season, they had an upset over 2 seed Arizona. The Tigers have lost some key players from last season, but the departure of those players have allowed for sophomore guard Xaivian Lee to get more opportunities. Lee is the frontrunner for Ivy League player of the year, and Princeton is on pace to make the tournament. 

Another team that could make an unexpected run is Indiana State. This is the best team that Indiana State has had in a while, mainly due to experience and good coaching. Center Robbie Avila has used his unorthodox playing style to dominate the Missouri Valley conference. The Sycamores are projected to be around a 10 or 11 seed in the upcoming tournament. 

My final prediction for March Madness this year is that UConn will win the National Championship. The Huskies have experience that no other team has. They have guards that can shoot and get to the rim as well as big men that can score down low. The Huskies bench is also very deep, which will allow them to play well even if their starters are in foul trouble. 

This March Madness should be one to remember.