The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

School Spirit Soars During Pep Rallies

When someone thinks of a typical school day their last thought is the entire student body in the bleachers making as much noise as possible.

Pep rallies are a relatively new tradition to the current students at GHS. Michael Gasaway,  principal,  revamped the tradition that had been suspended since covid.

“High school is the only time of your life you really get to experience a pep rally. They were a huge deal at the school I moved from, and I wanted to continue the tradition here,” Mr. Gasaway said. “Pep rallies are a chance for everyone to just be with their friends and have a good time. Everyone gets to have fun while boosting school spirit.”

It is hard not to have school pride at an event showered in green and gold with prizes for cheering the loudest.

The second pep rally of the year occurred on Sep 22. Many games and activities were featured, including a powderpuff cheer showcase and recognizing certain groups for their achievements.

“We wanted to organize a fun way for fall sport athletes to be recognized. It was challenging to plan everything successfully,” junior Isabelle Reynolds said.

The junior class won the powderpuff showcase, beating the rest of the school. However, they ultimately lost to the seniors in cheering for the spirit staff.

“It was a great experience being out there with all of your buddies and winning made it even better. It was just such a fun atmosphere,” junior Nick Pruett said.

Despite all odds, the senior class stole the spirit stick from the sophomores. It was a back and forth battle, but the seniors pulled through.

“Winning the spirit staff was amazing. We were all cheering so loud, and when we found out we won, we were surprised but so happy at the same time,” senior Stuart Luhigo said.

The pep rally ran perfectly with almost no issues, which was due to the hard work put in by the entire student council. The weeks of planning led to a great final outcome.

“It was great to see everyone in the school enjoy what we worked so hard on. It definitely made all of the hard work and planning worth it,” senior Brett Odgers said.