The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Soccer field finishing construction

The soccer teams have been asking for a new soccer field at the front of the school for years, they are actually getting a new field, concession stand, restrooms, and many more bleachers. 

The addition of the new field gives dedicated players a great deal of pleasure, because they now can say they have a field all to their own and not have to split practice time with football.

“The new field makes me feel special because we never had our own facilities, and this new addition makes me feel like soccer is starting to get the attention we’ve wanted,” senior Audrey Scaramazzo, right back, said.

Many aspects of the field could be surprising to players and fans.

“They are building a press box and bathrooms which is amazing since we never had bathrooms. With all the new additions, it’s honestly making it feel like a little stadium,” Scaramazzo said.

The new bleachers should be inviting for more fans.

We have seen an increase in soccer spectators over the past couple of years and expect as our programs grow. Given a renovated stadium more people will be watching our soccer programs,” Mr.Mike Campell, athletic director, said. 

Some people might wonder why the addition of the soccer field was needed when the football field served as a working option.

“Soccer needed an updated stadium complete with a pressbox, restrooms, and concession stand. These programs are expanding in our school and we need to meet the needs of these programs. Even though this project will be costly it will all be worth it in the end, ” Mr.Campbell said.

While Construction for the new field has been underway for many months, soccer teams will have to wait till next season to play on it. 

“We expect full completion of the field by late September early October,” Mr.Campell said.

The new soccer field not only provides a better viewing experience but it also allows for players to better prevent injury.

“I definitely like grass fields more for my knee because it feels way easier to cut without pain and statistically I feel people get hurt less on grass,” Junior Kenna Martin said.