The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Future Stars Club presents unique opportunity for young athletes

Every star athlete was once a young kid with a passion to play. Through the Lady Woodmen Future Stars Club, young girls from the community can get a glimpse of their futures as Lady Woodmen stars.

The program encourages girls kindergarten through 8th grade to be a part of the high school team by allowing them to participate in huddles, join the team during locker room talks, serve water to players, and assist players with pre-game warmups. The club is a unique program that has never before been offered at GHS.

Coach Jenny Fenora explained that the future stars program is a reminder as to where her love for basketball began.

“When I was growing up in Southern Indiana, there was always a program to get involved in, and as a kid, I remember being so excited to go to the high school girls’ games and sit behind the bench and just be a part and involved because I felt important, it inspired me and I decided this is what I wanted to do because they were my role models,” Coach Fenora said.

podcast: https://youtu.be/vxjQH4igZwc

The new program will allow aspiring young athletes to get a start on their basketball careers and to seek mentorship in the older girls.

“This club will help younger kids learn how our program works, and it also grows our community. The young kids enjoy being around us older sisters just as much as we love having them. Coach Fenora really emphasizes growing our program so that we have a more tight knit family of basketball girls who will eventually play at the high school. It is a great opportunity for young girls to grow their love of basketball and get a jumpstart in our program,” senior Gabby Wegesin, guard, said.

The program has not only benefited the younger stars but also the current stars.

“It has actually been really enjoyable having the little girls with us during games and stuff. They are really encouraging, and you can tell just how excited they are to be there with us. We are just as excited that they are with us,” senior Alyssa Hamm, guard, said.

Growth in the program will be a big goal for the Lady Woodmen this year. The team has put on several different youth camps and provided several opportunities for younger athletes to grow their playing abilities.

“This project is going to help the basketball program a lot because in the past there’s been a lack of youth basketball opportunities for young athletes, and now that we have one, we hope to grow the program and inspire young girls,” senior Stasia Buckalew, guard, said.