The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Track heads into Mid-State meet

With a delayed start to the outdoor season, track athletes find the Mid-State meet is coming sooner than expected.

The first two meets of the outdoor season were canceled for bad weather, naturally making the season feel like it is moving faster for athletes. Mid-State will take place Tuesday April 30th at Decatur Central High school.

“Since the first few meets got canceled, County became our third meet of the year, and Mid-State feels a lot closer than it did before we knew the meets were canceled,” junior Emma Gardner said.

Some athletes will be attending the Mid-State meet for the first time. 

“I am excited to compete in a big outdoor meet like Mid-State for the first time in my high school career. Events aren’t finalized yet but I am a long distance runner. I am not as nervous for this meet as I was the first couple indoor meets, since I am used to the environment of a varsity meet now,” said freshman Jack Siminski.

Athletes returning intend to improve on last year’s placement.  

“I did pretty well last year, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement. I came third and one of the people ahead of me was a senior. This off-season and in cross country season, I improved on all of my times. This season should hold lots of PRs, and, hopefully, they happen in big meets like County, Mid-State, and Sectionals,” sophomore Lily Rollings said.

Only one GHS athlete was All-Conference in track and field, but even she looks to improve. 

“I was the only person to make All-Conference last year, which is what you get for winning an event at the Mid-State meet. Last year, I won the shot-put, but this year, I am hoping for a sweep and to win in discus as well,” Gardner said.

The Woodmen track and field team has a strong team. One of the areas lacking is the high jump. With the Graduation of former GHS high jumper CJ Price, there are big shoes to fill this season. 

“This is my first year doing track, and everything is new to me, but since there was not really anyone returning to high jump, I found a spot on varsity. In the indoor meet I went to I missed the opening height of 5’4”, but I have gotten the hang of it since then and I am excited to compete in the Mid-State meet,” junior Miguel Dias said.