New basketball coaches take the helm

The Woodmen basketball teams look to improve on last year’s seasons with new head coaches. 

The new boys basketball coach is Coach Keith Witty. 

“I was the head coach at Edinburgh High School for six years, and I was an assistant coach at Perry Meridian the three years before that. Those jobs have really helped me grow as a coach and get to where I am now,” he said. 

The new girls basketball coach, Coach Finora, is using her playing experience to her advantage.

“I used to play professionally in Iceland, and I won a National Championship there. I also played Division 1 college basketball at Kentucky. Playing at that level really helped me understand the game as much as I could,” Coach Finora said. 

The new coaches have both enjoyed their experience at GHS so far.

“My experience at Greenwood has been wonderful so far. I love teaching and coaching here and look forward to my job every single day,” Coach Finora said. 

The boys basketball coach has had a similar experience.

“My start at Greenwood has been good. All of the players have been working hard and have been very accepting of new playing styles which has been great,” Coach Witty said. 

The start to their seasons have not been perfect; the new coaches have faced some early challenges.

“Any time you are a new coach there are challenges but I would say just trying to change the culture has been the most prevalent one. Sometimes it is hard to make everyone on the team get along,” Coach Finora said.

The new coaches are also impacting players. 

“Coach Witty has changed our team culture in the best possible ways. He has brought everyone closer together, not just as teammates but as friends,” junior Aj Sheets, forward, said.

The girls team has had similar results with Coach Finora.

“Finora has definitely helped us improve this year. She has given us all confidence and trained us to be successful,” senior Courtney Hankenhoff, forward, said.