150 volunteers winterize area homes

With 150 volunteers, the annual Winterization was a success. 

Every year, the PEER team organizes Winterization which is an event to help Greenwood residents with yard work. 

“We don’t advertise Winterization to the community because we can’t promise to deliver. This year, we had four houses that we couldn’t get to because of time. It’s a worded mouth thing now. The houses we have from previous years will tell their neighbors and we will add them to the list,” Mrs. Laura Stadtfelt said. 

Breakfast and lunch are provided to the volunteers every year.

“We have a celebration team that arranges the food. Brooklyn Hanson was in charge with four other girls. They call and email restaurants for food and drink donations. Shoutout to the faculty that made food that we couldn’t get from the restaurants,” Mrs. Stadtfelt said.  

Winterization is from 8 A.M. to 12 P.M. There were 23 faculty members and 150 student volunteers. 

“It was cold in the morning but as the day went on and we got to work, the weather was nice. I was in a group with my friends from Service Club and Dr. Terhune. It was really fun hanging out with my friends, and one of the houses gave us two full boxes of winter cosmic brownies and they were delicious. One thing I’m mad about is that I lost my rake,” senior Sophia Pena said. 

Senior Lesley Rodriguez has participated in Winterization all four years. 

“I love Winterization even after last year when it snowed. It’s a good time to hang out with my friends and help out the elderly at the same time. The food never disappoints, but I feel like the food this year was extra good, probably because we were tired and hungry,” Rodriguez said.