Athletes face injuries

Casts, slings, and crutches can be scary for athletes as they have to watch their team from the sidelines. 

Girls basketball team has kicked off the season, but they had to do it without the help of sophomore Brianna Miller.

“I got my boot and crutches before the season officially started. I will have them for about a month, and then I have to wait for the doctor to clear me before I can start playing again,” Miller said, “This happened during a practice when I tripped over a ball while doing layups. I rolled my ankle.”

The football team was led by linebacker captain, senior Cooper Smith, so it was a huge loss to lose him during the season.

“I got hurt during the Mooresville game when I went in on a run play. I made the tackle, but I knew right when I got up something was wrong, so I ran off the field. I then found out I broke my collarbone, and I had to sit for three games,” Smith said

Recovery can be a long road for some athletes with certain injuries which can include an extensive amount of time off, therapy, and rebuilding back into full strength to get game-ready again.

“I sprained my UCL during the football season, and since it was close to tearing, I had to be done for the rest of the season. I have gone to therapy for my elbow, and I will continue to go to therapy so I don’t have to worry about anything going wrong next year,” junior Ethan Reed, defensive back said. 

A problem with these injuries is not only the physical stain it puts on players but there is also a mental block some players can get from fear of getting injured again and missing more of the season. 

“I had no fear once I got back to the field. I was just ready to play again and finish off my football season playing as hard as I possibly could,” Smith said.

Some athletes have to hear the heart-breaking new that they will not be able to participate in their season at all due to a long term injury.

“During a pre-season match, I was trying to take the ball from a player and I moved weirdly and I heard a pop in my knee. I was still able to walk so I thought I was fine, but when I went to the doctor I found out I completely tore my meniscus and I couldn’t play my soccer season,” sophomore Landen Belair, said.