The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Girls basketball approach playoffs

With the beginning of the girls basketball season, many fans look further into the season at the challenging County tournament taking place in December.

County is definitely a stressful part of the year for basketball players, so keeping both mind and body up to normal standards of play is important.

“During the week of County, we try to tone down the intensity of practice, but we emphasize the communication and work more on technique and mechanics more than anything,” senior Charlee Mayo, guard, said.

After last year’s second round loss in County against Whiteland, many starters said they left a lot on the table.

“Last year’s loss was definitely a little rough. We lost a lot of good seniors, too, but we replaced them with some younger talent, and I feel we can get to that same spot or even better,” Mayo said.

With the coaching change, many veteran players have come back due to the fresh life blown into the program via head coach Jenny Finora.

“I played early in my high school career, but I decided to quit after one year because of coaching. Coach Fenora is definitely something Greenwood needed, and she definitely allows me to have a love for the game again,” senior Courtney Hankenhoff, center, said.

The team has definitely experienced change, losing six senior players.

“Our team is definitely different this year not only because we lost all those seniors, but also because I feel like we communicate better. There’s a lot of chemistry between this team, and that’s what I feel will give us an edge over last year’s team,” senior Breanna Pierce, guard, said.