The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Next week’s final exams require battle plan to win

With finals week approaching, these new study tips should help students ace their first semester exams. 

For those who do not know, finals week is different from a normal school week. Each day of finals week will contain either two or three finals. There are certain classes on these days that are often used to study for upcoming exams. 

There are many different strategies for studying that are effective. One of my personal favorite strategies is using flashcards. Making paper flashcards helps me because I get to write down terms and definitions, which gives my brain a refresher. Another way to use flashcards is to make them online. One great online website is Quizlet. Quizlet allows the user to create flashcards, which can then be used in games, quizzes, and matching. 

Another effective way to study for finals is studying with other people. Getting a group of friends together to study is probably the most enjoyable way to prepare. Studying friends is a great way to practice terms while also having fun. Although this is a fun way to study, sometimes it leads to getting off task. While using this study strategy, it is important to have the right amount of socializing so students are able to focus on their work. 

These are all great ways to prepare for finals, but there are also some studying strategies that should be avoided. One example of a studying strategy that should be avoided is cramming. Cramming is waiting until the last day to study and cramming lots of material into your brain at the last minute. A better strategy would be to spread out studying over a longer period of time so it is easier to retain information. It is also important to focus on each separate final instead of focusing every bit of time towards only one. 

Studying is not the only way students should be preparing for finals. It is also important to start the day off with a good breakfast. According to the British Broadcasting Corporation, to perform better in exams, it is recommended to eat a breakfast that is high in protein and carbohydrates. Some examples of breakfast foods that are high in protein and carbs include eggs, yogurt, whole wheat bread, and milk. Another great option is a smoothie with blended fruits and vegetables. 

It is also very important to be well rested going into finals. It is important to get at least eight hours of sleep the night before. If students do not get the right amount of sleep, it can lead to a tired mind and not being dialed into their tests. 

In conclusion, it is very important to properly manage your studying before finals. It is also important to get enough sleep and eat the right food. Following these study tips should help all students ace their final exams.