The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Ravens to win Super Bowl

One of the most anticipated events of the year for sports fans and non-sports fans alike is the Super Bowl.

This NFL season, unlike most, has been one without a clear cut Super Bowl favorite. In past years, dynasties have dominated the long-awaited end-of-season game, such as the Chiefs and the Patriots. But this year, there are a multitude of teams that can compete late in the playoffs. We are now down to the final four teams trying to compete for the Super Bowl: the 49ers, the Lions, the Chiefs, and the Ravens. With so many powerful teams hoping to punch their tickets to the Super Bowl, it should make for an exciting set of championships, but it also becomes hard to predict what will happen.

Coming out of the AFC, the Baltimore Ravens are set to face the Kansas City Chiefs. The number one and number three seeds in the AFC, both of these teams boast great records and amazing coaching. The Chiefs are led by the undisputed best quarterback in the league in Patrick Mahomes and have a very solid defense. Somehow, Mahomes has led this roster to a 11-6 record with some impressive wins, but based on their performance this year, their offense does not have the firepower they used to, and I do not think they will be competing in the Super Bowl this year. 

My pick for the Super Bowl coming out of the AFC is the Ravens. Baltimore is led by their MVP-frontrunning quarterback Lamar Jackson with the help of a receiving core, including rookie star Zay Flowers and popular veteran Odell Beckham Jr. Baltimore’s defense has been borderline elite this year to complement their electric offense, led by linebackers Patrick Queen and Roquan Smith and a good supporting cast of defensive backs. Baltimore also signed former star running back Dalvin Cook to push their playoff hopes along. With a 13-4 record and the first seed in the AFC, I believe they will make it to the Super Bowl.

The NFC features an amazing matchup between the 49ers and the Lions. The Lions are coming into the NFC Championship hot, with impressive playoff wins against the Rams and the Buccaneers. Jared Goff has looked like a whole new player this year, leading Detroit’s new and improved offense. Their defense is a bit spotty at times, but they have definitely been able to hold their own against some of the league’s best offenses. However, I think the 49ers are just too good, and the Lions’ Super Bowl hopes will come to an end this weekend.

Just like the Ravens, the 49ers hold the first seed in the NFC. San Francisco has one of the best offenses in the league with Christian McCaffrey as the team’s star. They also have a nice wide receiver duo in Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk. Their defense is dominant all around, and it is hard to find holes in this team. However, I believe the 49ers’ whole playoff run is in the hands of quarterback Brock Purdy. Purdy has been the talk of the league for the past season, being selected final pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, being dubbed the name Mr. Irrelevant. Then, after Trey Lance went down with a season ending injury, Purdy defied all odds and proved himself as the deserving starter in San Francisco. But, even though he has shown flashes of greatness, he has been inconsistent at times. If he plays at a high level like he has proved before, I do not see anyone in the NFC stopping this team.

So this leads to an intense Super Bowl matchup between two powerhouse teams: the Ravens and the 49ers, in which I think the Ravens come out on top. When comparing the two teams, I think San Francisco has a better offense, but Baltimore has a better defense. Baltimore’s defense will need to be on point if they want to win the game, but I think they are capable of it. And, if the Ravens find their rhythm on offense early, I do not see the 49ers’ defense keeping up. But, I do think it will be a close game and will not be surprised if it ends in San Francisco’s favor, either.