Intramural basketball in full swing

Intramural basketball is in full swing.

The intramural games are not like typical high school games. Intramural games are played in the SAC on Wednesday nights.

“Intramural basketball is different from normal basketball games because there are two halves, which each are made up of four different four-minute sections,” senior Sam Grimes said. 

Even though it is an intramural sport, many players take it very seriously. A lot of strategy was used in the draft. 

“My strategy going into the draft was to get guys who are in good condition and can push the ball down the court. Last year, the team I was on won the championship, and that was one of our main styles of play so I think my draft strategy will turn out nicely,” Grimes said.

Another draft strategy is almost the opposite. Senior Tanner Crouch decided to draft taller players.

“My goal going into the draft was to take the tallest guys on the board. My first two draft picks were both well over six feet so I would say the draft was a success. I do not see any team being able to get rebounds over us which will definitely help us win,” Crouch said.

Intramural basketball is the perfect way to play basketball when other sports take up a lot of time.

“I like playing intramural basketball because it is just once a week, which still leaves me time to work and focus on my other sports,” senior Dalton Hockersmith said. 

Junior Hayden Stringer attended a game from last year’s season and decided to join the league this year. 

“Last year, I went to one of the games to take photos, and after I was done, I knew that intramural basketball was something I wanted to be a part of. I am a really competitive person and intramurals are a great way to casually compete and have fun,” Stringer said. 

Veterans of the league have fond memories from playing. 

“My favorite memory is probably when my team won their first game last year. We struggled in the first few games, and it was really fun when we were winning,” Hockersmith said.

Even with very successful seasons in the past, this season is shaping up to be one of the best.

“I think this season is going to be really competitive. A lot of new players have joined, and there is a lot of new talent. Some of the best players from last year are returning also so it should be a fun season,” Grimes said.