Lady Woodmen inspired by bedazzled axe

The sparkly axe often seen traveling around GHS may seem odd to some people, but to the Lady Woodmen basketball team, it is more than just a bedazzled axe.

Receiving the axe is motivation to work hard during practice, even when things get tough.

“A player can receive the axe simply by being the hardest worker of the practice but also having the best body language, attitude, and communication skills during the practice. The axe definitely motivates us to work harder during practice. It encourages us to compete against each other and still make things fun. Currently, I am trying to catch up to Paige Glynn because she has won it five times,” sophomore Eliana Anderson said.

The axe tradition can help players enjoy practice even during tough workouts and long stretches in the season.

“It is pretty cool to be able to receive the axe after a game or practice for me personally. I always put 100% effort on the courts so when I receive the axe it is nice knowing that my hard work does not go unnoticed. The tradition definitely encourages players because it is fun being able to carry the axe around and it lets other people outside of our team know that whoever is carrying the axe worked the hardest and was the most encouraging during out practice or game,” senior Charlee Mayo said.

Winning the axe can be confirmation that a player is working hard and encourages players to improve every chance they get at practice.

“To earn the axe, I sprinted on every down and back we had and worked as hard as I could during practice to improve my play. I always make sure to hustle in between doing different things and especially making sure I am hustling during scrimmages and shooting drills,” sophomore Paige Glynn said.

The axe is not all about playing the best on the court. The axe can also be given to whoever is being the most encouraging or has the best attitude. Even the team manager can earn this honor.

“I got the axe one day for being a good manager. It really surprised me when the coach gave it to me, but it was nice to see that my work did not go unnoticed. It was nice to be recognized as the hardest worker, especially being the manager because I do a lot of work that often people do not think about,” sophomore Melanie Le, manager, said.

Competing for the axe encourages healthy competition and drives players to be their best during practice.

“Competing for the axe in practice is really awesome because I feel like it gives us a reason to work hard even when we do not want to. I think that without the axe some of us would have a hard time staying motivated during the long season, but having something to drive us to be better is really important,” senior Alyssa Hamm said.