Finding peace in common names

In a world full of John and Jane Doe’s, the struggle to stand out is real.

“It gets annoying a lot of the time when someone says my name but they’re not talking to me. In APC, someone will say Lilly, and they will be talking about Lilly Rollings, but I try to always answer when I hear my name,” sophomore Lilly Roell said.

People with uncommon names can often find it difficult for people to pronounce their names correctly, which can lead to correcting people a lot.

“Having a common name is not really great but it makes it easier for people to remember it, which can be nice. It’s also easy for people to pronounce so I don’t have to worry about my name being said incorrectly,” Roell said.

Having a common name is not always terrible, though. Some people love their names and would not want anything else.

“I love my name. I have never really thought about wanting a different name or changing it. Even though many people have my name, it does not bother me as much as it used to. When I was younger, I did not like it because it was common, but now I have grown to love my name and not care about it being common,” sophomore Sarah Migl said.

Students can find humor out of having common names.

“It can get a little confusing sometimes. Having a common name means that I hear my name being called, but it is not always for me. It is like being in a crowded room and hearing someone say your name, but they’re actually talking to someone else. It can be a bit funny,” freshman Lilly Disney said.

In a world where names are often shared, some individuals are seeking to break free from the crowd by changing their common names.

“As for having another name, I have never really thought about it. I like my name, but if I had to choose, maybe something unique and creative like Adalynn or Brynn,” Disney said.

Having friends with the same name can be confusing, but students find ways to work through it.

“If I was going to change my name to anything it would be Elizabeth. It is my middle name, and I really like it. When people have the same middle name as me, it can get annoying I guess. It is annoying because someone can say my name and I turn around to answer but they’re not talking to me, which could also be weird. I have friends with the same name as me, but we find ways to avoid the confusion so we often give each other nicknames. My nickname usually is just my last name (Brawley)” sophomore Ava Brawley said.