Teacher coaches juggle schedules

From the classroom to the court, these teachers have a lot on their plates. 

“I pretty much spend most of my time here at school so it’s a little bit of a juggling action trying to manage both work life and personal life and keeping them separate but also together at the same time,” Mr. Zach Mackie, varsity volleyball and JV basketball coach, world history and gov. and the econ teacher said. 

It takes a lot of work to do both jobs, but in the end, it is rewarding. 

“It was very busy but also extremely fun and enjoyable. I had lots of fun and really enjoyed my first year even though it was so busy,” Mrs. Jenny Finoravarsity basketball coach and earth space science teacher said. 

To be able to do both jobs, it is vital to have good time management and communication with peers, especially if family is involved. 

“Personally, I like to keep a calendar, and it helps me stay organized, so I don’t forget anything or lose track of my plans. I’ve already been planning stuff for volleyball even though we still have a few months, but it helps me be on top of everything and still have time for my family,” Mr. Mackie said. 

Both jobs are a lot of work to manage and pressure with game days multiple times a week, a full-time job, and a family. 

“Honestly, I’m still working on managing both jobs and my family, and in reality, it’s a big sacrifice on my spouse. She’s very supportive,” Mr.  Jeremy Runge, varsity tennis coach and world history and US history teacher, said. 

In the end, helping kids in as many ways as possible is what these teachers get out of all the stress, and that is bigger than any reward. 

“A big thing for me is the connections with the kids. I think it keeps me young because I get to be interactive and stay in shape, and I think that’s very important to me,” Mr. Runge said.