Tennis vs Pendleton Heights

Girls tennis is ready for their match tomorrow against Pendleton Heights.

The team has started off their season great and are only going up from here. Along with a new coach they have trained in different ways to get as much of an advantage as possible.

Senior Gracie Gasaway said, “Our new coach is not showing weaknesses with no more messing around this year and showing that with hard practices, conditioning, discipline, training and hard work. She has shaped us into the best players we can be for this season, and we are excited to keep going on the right track to turn our program around.”

Coaches are always talking about how the team is as good as the weakest link.

Gasaway said, “The weakest link so far this season has been the low amount of banking off of each other to make each other better. Yes, tennis is a single and sometimes double sport, but you still need to help your teammates out and learn from each other as well.”

Along with overall performance, athletes need to do more than just the basics to out compete the competition.

Sophomore Paige Glynn said, “I have focused on footwork on many different teams and sports, but I have never worked on it as much as I have during this season of tennis with different drills, games, and preparation along with recovery.”

Practice is the most important part of any player’s success.

Glynn said, “Generally practice starts with two laps around six courts, and then Maggie Boyce leads stretches. Then, we get with a partner and warm up with short court, full court, volleys, overheads and serving. After that, we split up into either practice matches or rotations with different drills. Then, we end practice with a game the whole team participates in.”