Academic team prepares for competition

As each practice goes by, the season inches closer and closer. Would all the practices be enough to win the competition?

Every year, GHS has five academic teams; students from all grades gather to learn more about a single topic. Then, they compete on those topics with other Indiana schools.

“The topic is the 80s and 90s turn of the millennium or the end of the millennium. There are just a lot of culturally significant texts, and we also have a movie script this year which is kind of nice,” Mrs. Laura Kuntz, English team sponsor, said.

By practicing once a week, the English team prepares for their three competitions in March and April.

“First competitions don’t start until usually mid-March, so I wanted to start my team earlier this year since we have several readings, but the competitions don’t start until the spring,”  Mrs. Kuntz said

The academic teams include English, History, Art, Science, and Math.

“It is coming together great. My captain and two participants who were members of my state team last year are back, so we are expecting to go back to State again this year. Plus, I have a couple of freshmen who are really excited and seem like they are going to be great additions to our team,“ Mrs. Cathryn Grider, English team sponsor, said.

Studying various subjects in one topic while being involved in an academic team can help keep students interested in the team. Changing topics to something new each year also brings in new faces to the program.

“It has been really good. We have four new freshmen which is awesome because it is hard sometimes to get new people in, and then we have our team captain, Emma Baker, so it will be nice to have a strong foundation when she is gone next year,”  Mrs. Kuntz said.

Hard work pays off.

“It’s been really fun being on the team. I like this year’s topic a lot and it’s especially cool to learn this year’s topic. We prepare by meeting during powerhours. We also read the book and go over practice questions to get ourselves ready for competitions,” sophomore , Eliana Anderson said.