Students create snowmen

The Snowman Project is a fun and exciting way for the students in the Quest program to get pumped up for the holiday season as they learn how to work for what they want. 

“The Snowman Project is where we make porch stands that look like snowmen so that people here can see and support our work. The proceeds that we earn will go into a party for the guys, and we will get to buy more materials for upcoming projects,” Mrs. Joy Whitesell, Special Education teacher, said.

The project gives students in the Quest program a chance to show what they are capable of and feel accomplished and proud of their hard work. 

“The inspiration was to have a project for these kids to do that they can enjoy and at the end they can take home a project. Also, teachers and students can see what this class does,” Mrs. Whitesell said.

This project is important and means a lot to the students, but it also has an impact on the adults involved as well.

“My favorite part is definitely the group effort. We are all working on the same thing, but everything turns out different, so that is really special,” Ms. Madison True, instructional assistant, said. 

Although a little shorthanded, everything is going well. 

“The people involved are the students in the tech systems, me as the teacher, the Quest program, and one assistant. We have a really small group this year, about seven kids, so the kids are doing a lot of work,” Mrs. Whitesell said.  

The students thoroughly enjoy every aspect.

“My favorite part is getting to work together and build stuff, also working hard to build stuff and experience what the job is and working in construction. I want to gain experience like this to gain more skills and do more projects in the future,” senior Cody Nelson said.