Art program seeks to add a splash of color to classrooms

With a roster of talented students, Mrs. Sunny Gullery, art teacher, is adding a much-needed splash of color to classrooms.

Mrs. Gullery found a unique and fun final for first semester. After positive feedback from teachers and students, it stuck.

“The old art teacher had students do some ceiling tiles for the art room and a few other classrooms. I liked the idea and made the project become the first semester final for advanced art when I first arrived at Greenwood. Students liked the project, and the teachers liked getting ceiling tiles that add color to their room that also signify their favorite teams, hobbies, and more,” Mrs. Gullery said.

Mr. Jeremy Runge, social studies teacher has been receiving painted tiles for nearly five years now. His collection has grown to four.

“Directly above my desk is a tile of my favorite hockey team, the Detroit Red Wings. The three in a line are houses from Game of Thrones, one of my favorite TV series,” Mr. Runge said.

Some classrooms are more colorful than others. Mrs. Gullery wants to make it a point to eliminate dull and boring colors around the school and introduce colorful artwork.

“I have stuck with this project for over five years because it is a goal of mine to beautify the school. Seeing the dull and boring walls and ceilings inspires me to keep doing this project each and every year,” she said.

Some teachers use this project to symbolize the classes they teach.

“One of my favorite parts of the day is getting to teach my Film Literature class. Two of my four ceiling tiles show my love for movies. One of them is Jaws, my favorite movie, and the other is of an Indiana state flag mixed with a film camera,” Mr. Blaine Williams, english teacher, said.

Students find a lot of joy in this project.

“Final exams can really stress me out having to study a bunch. I actually look forward to this final because it is just getting to do something I enjoy,” junior Eliana Speedy said.

Mrs. Gullery sends out an email to find out which teachers are interested. Students then pick a teacher off the list and follow up with them to see what they want their tile to be.

“The best part of this project is getting to collaborate with your favorite teacher to make their tile. It would be a lot less fun if I got assigned a teacher I have never had or have never talked to,” senior Erin Hoffman said.