The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Special Letterman Jackets

The entire school gathered to celebrate the well-deserved honor. 

Two students in the unified sports program received personalized Letterman Jackets

“Mr. Campbell and I were talking about it and said it was something we needed to do. I told him that this is something that we need to do, and he ran with it and got it all taken care of. He got the letterman jackets taken care of like all the sewings and graphics,” Mr.  Micheal Gasaway, principal, said. 

These athletes got an amazing opportunity to play unified sports and were rewarded for all of their hard work. 

“The mother of one of the students in the special needs classes saw other kids wearing their jackets and thought that Khup and Angel should get one to wear, too. She went out and bought jackets that looked similar to ours, and she made them all up herself like with the stitching and everything,” Mr. Pete Guipe, credit recovery teacher, said. 

The administration are not the only ones who admired these students’ hard work and dedication. 

“We always wanted to be inclusive, and without our unified sports, these kids would have never had the recognition like that. We talked about when and how to do this, and we decided to involve everyone. It went very well for everyone,” Mr. Gasaway said. 

Unified sports have brought opportunities for kids that are unable to participate in school sports. 

“We hoped to inspire other students that were watching to have questions and answers and to know that everyone has their issues, and we don’t look at them with a disadvantage, just a different path. These kids choose to play sports and come to school every day and most people would give up if they were in the same position,” Mr. Gasaway said.