The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Canned Food Drive

Canned Food Drive

GHS makes it a priority to give to those in need this holiday season.  

The athletic administration is hosting a canned food drive a little differently. They have a different goal, and it is organized differently. 

“There’s no competition, but this year what we are doing is putting baskets around the school for kids to drop the canned foods off in. On December 1st and December 8th, we had baskets out at our boys and girls double header basketball games. Our goal is to get as many donations as possible, and what we were doing was if you donate, then you’ll get free popcorn in hopes to get more. Also, we have a goal of filling at least 15 baskets,” Mrs. Lindsey Glaze, athletic secretary, said. 

Students have also been put to work, trying to get as many cans at the last event as possible. 

“We collected cans to give to people in need and gave people a reason to donate other than just wanting to help our community because we gave them free popcorn if they donated,” senior Brevin Winger said. 

The Athletic Department has been working hard to plan and organize this event so students could help our community. 

“Mrs. Young in the guidance office is the one who’s in touch with the Good Cheer Fund in Johnson Country. Every year, we act as the vehicle that actually collects all of the items and makes sure they are packaged and sent off for the community members. There is a lot of planning between them, us, and the good cheer fun of Johnson County,” Mrs. Glaze said. 

There are countless reasons why GHS does food drives like this every year, and it is not the only way we like to help out the community. 

“Our goal is to feed as many people that we can that need some extra help. We also want to have fun with it and not make it feel like a chore,” Winger said. 

Donations are a great way to support the Woodmen basketball teams and to help out the community by bringing in canned foods as an entry fee and to get a free snack. 

“I thought our turn out for the first day of doing this went pretty well with how many people we had at the game,” Winger said.