Students and staff driving in bad weather

Driving in bad weather can be scary for some drivers, but for these select few, not much gets to them. 

“Truthfully, I feel that it’s the same as every day, but some people tend to be more cautious. I normally leave a few minutes earlier so I can be on time with everyone driving slower and to prevent accidents,” junior Keegan Lane said. 

The scariest part for some people is the abilities of other drivers during these conditions. 

“Driving in bad weather makes me nervous sometimes, but it really depends on how many people are on the road. It does not make me nervous because I am confident in my skills. It is the other drivers that I am scared of,” Mr. Zach Mackie, social studies teacher, said. 

Junior Neveah Elliott and Mr. Mackie are on the same page when it comes to other drivers. 

“Driving in bad weather conditions makes me a little nervous because I haven’t had my license for that long and I feel like I can’t trust other drivers sometimes,” Elliott said.

Ms. Jenny Finora, science teacher, has her apprehensions when driving in bad weather. 

“As a mom, I would rather play it safe than not.  People never know what is below you like black ice or snow. No one knows how compact it is or if it is going to be slippery. I have slid off before and almost had a wreck. I have also slid off of a mountain, so it scares me quite a lot,” Ms. Finora said. 

Mr. Mackie has experienced bad weather on the road, but he was cautious and waited it out. 

“There was an ice storm that I got stuck in with my wife, and we had to hunker down and hang out in the car for like three or four hours while they were trying to salt the roads. We had just left volleyball because we were playing together in Plainfield. That is when everyone got stuck. There were definitely a lot of accidents. I was walking down the road and watched about six or seven cars try to make it, and they did not make it. They definitely crashed,” he said. 

Unfortunately Elliott was not as lucky. 

“One time I was driving early in the morning on a road with one side coned off, and there was a lot of fog. I did not see one of the cones that was moved over a little into my lane, and I hit it. My car flipped into a ditch. My car got totaled, and I broke my arm, but overall, I was okay,” Elliott said.