Potential painted parking spots in the works

Many students would love the privilege of painting parking spots, but it could be an eyesore. 

Seniors may be getting the chance to claim and paint a parking spot for their senior year. Many surrounding schools have done this, and it brings great diversity and uniqueness to their community. 

“I would definitely be stuff that I love and that I’m passionate about. I would probably add my friends and family into it and have them be a part of it because they are a big part of my life,” junior Gavin Sebastion said. 

Being able to paint a personal parking spot as a senior would be a privilege. 

“I would most definitely make my spot SpongeBob-themed because I love that show and it’s hilarious. I would want to do the quote four years later because it fits perfectly with being a senior,” junior Mckenna Martin said. 

Not every student would have the same idea so every spot would be unique, but there would be restrictions. 

“They would come in during the summer and get their work approved by me, just like graduation caps, and then they would get started on it. Some rules would be that it can not be too political or anything too inappropriate, but we will encourage the kids to express themselves and have their own creativity,” Principal Micheal Gasaway said. 

He has been proposing this idea to the central office administration.

“The deciding factor I think will be very specific stuff, like how it adds value, what’s the why, and what’s the enhancement it adds to our school. Part of it is also the number of our students in our parking lot. We have 250 to 300 seniors, and I’m not sure we have 300 spots to paint, so if everyone wanted to paint one, then what would we do, but hopefully that’s not the case,” Superintendent Terry Terhune said. 

Gasaway is trying to get this approved, but it is still up for debate. 

“As of right now this has not been approved but as soon as this does it will be put into action. If it were to get approved before the school year ended, then the juniors now would be painting spots this summer. Although if it gets approved over summer then we are not sure if we would get to it or wait, but we would do it as soon as possible,” Mr. Gasaway said.