Spotlight shines on Koehl at Carnegie Hall

Seats embroidered in red thread go on for miles across the theater with each filled as senior Emma Koehl’s voice rang out through Carnegie Hall in New York City.

“Being able to perform at one of the most prestigious performing venues in the nation is a huge honor. I received an email about the Honors Performance Series over the summer and decided to research it and reach out to my director. I read great things about the program, and I decided to audition in September. I have decided on seven pieces with my ensemble, and I am excited for everyone to hear,” Koehl said.

Carnegie Hall opened in 1891 and has hosted the greats on stage. The list is endless but includes Tchaikovsky, George Gershwin, Billie Holiday, Benny Goodman, Judy Garland, and The Beatles. Koehl was shocked to receive the invitation for opportunity on Feb. 10. She and her parents enjoyed time in New York for five days.

“If someone would have told me during my freshman year that I would get to sing at Carnegie Hall during my senior year, I would never have believed it. I was not so sure about choir when I started my high school journey, and I never thought I would have made it this far,” Koehl said.

Koehl explained how long she has been in the singing business.

“I have been singing since I was 8 years old. I joined the Isom Elementary Honor Choir in third grade due to my parents’ and grandparents’ heavy involvement in music. Since then, I have been singing in every choir that I am given the chance to,” Koehl said.

Koehl’s role models mean everything to her. They pushed her to perfect her craft and pursue opportunities like one in NYC.

“Throughout my time in both the choral and instrumental ensembles at Greenwood, I have worked with multiple directors who have gone above and beyond to help me throughout my musical journey. I credit the majority of accomplishments to their incredible support,” Koehl said.