Students share Roman Empires

The Roman Empire trend started on TikTok when a video of women asking the men in their lives how often they thought about the Roman Empire, an empire formed in 31 BC and lasting to 476 AD in Rome. TikTok users and viewers were shocked to find out how much men thought about the Roman Empire with some answers being daily.

Social media users developed this trend by connecting things, people, and events. that are significant recurring thoughts and calling them their personal ¨Roman Empires¨

As of January, the hashtag #romanempire on TikTok has more than 173k posts.

“Is interesting to see people share their Roman Empires on my For You page. Sometimes I’m like, what? Why would you think about that so much? And other videos I’ve seen have made me realize I also think of those things a lot,” junior Travarius Nolan said.

With every individual comes a personal Roman Empire. Senior Julio DeLaRosa shared his.

¨My Roman Empire is space and life after death. No one really knows where you go once you die. There are religions and beliefs, but then there’s also just the thought of what’s out there and how much we don’t know,” he said. ¨There´s so much in space that’s undiscovered and possibly answers to so many questions. There’s just so much we don’t know.¨

Other students had simpler Roman Empires based on culturally significant moments.

¨My Roman Empire has to be the Ohio State dance team. Their performance was so sharp and emotional, and the song choice was perfect. They’re all over my For You page so in sight, in mind.¨ senior Melanie Rodriguez said.

For sophomore Hailey Lusk, a memory from her freshman year takes the place of her Roman Empire.

¨My empire is when I was a freshman and  brought Dr. Pepper to lunch. One of my friends shook the bottle, and it literally flew across the room,¨ Lusk said. “It hit Emma Chism, and she was wearing a white dress. I felt so bad. A lot of people went quiet, and others were like, ‘wow.”

Some of the best times of people’s lives are something they constantly think about.

“Going to Washington D.C my 8th grade year has to be mine because I had a fun time and got to spend time with some of my best friends. I’d love to go back to that time,” freshman Emma  Vornheder said.