The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Mrs. James runs for State Rep

GHS psychology teacher, Mrs. Sandy James is running for the House of Representatives this year.

Mrs. James’s big motivation for running was the education system. She even intends to continue teaching if she is elected because she cares so much.

“The lady that holds the office now ran unopposed in the last election. When she got to the state house, she proceeded to author a lot of bills I thought hurt schools. I want to go to the legislature to stop some of the bad stuff they are doing to schools because the republican supermajority has no responsibility to anybody but themselves. They can pass any bill, they can override a governor veto, it’s almost like they are all powerful and I hate. Even though being a democrat in a very republican county, I’m probably not going to win, but I’m going to give it my best shot and, at least, make her work for it this time,” Mrs. James said.

Mrs. James has two big goals she wants to achieve.

“My ideal would be to be on the education committee so that I can help reverse some of these bad things they have done. There’s just been so much that has been discriminatory, in my opinion. I would like to reverse those. Another big thing is I want Roe v. Wade reinstated. I think women have a right to every type of healthcare that is available,” Mrs. James said.
Mrs. James’s plan for her campaign requires a lot of work.

“My campaign is a lot of work. I have to keep developing my platform. There are lots of events to attend. I will be doing research into bills authored and voted on by my opponent,” she said. “I will be canvassing door-to-door in my district all summer.”

According to the candidate, every who can, should register to vote.

“Make sure you are registered to vote. If you’re going to be 18 by the November election, you can vote in the May primary. You can register online. It’s a very simple thing to do,” she said.