Technology is not the answer

Schools have been upgrading technology, but this is not improving the education of the students.

The first reason schools should stick to paper and pencil is that schools need to be able to not rely on technology to teach the students. Everyone who has ever owned any electronic knows there are days when the internet just will not work and devices become useless. Students need to be learning every single day and not just on the days the internet decides to. Pencil and paper always work and are accessible at any time. 

The second reason is when students have a pencil and paper, they are forced to do the work themselves and learn from their assignments. On computers, students have access to everything and can look up answers online, use chat gpt, or copy and paste. These are all ways of cheating that students use to get out of work. Students are not learning because they are just given the answers and do not have to think. This does not help them for the futures because they do not know how to think for themselves.

The third reason is people learn better when they have to write things down. It has been proven that writing things down greatly improves retention of information. Students can get lost in typing and not remember what they were typing two seconds later. Writing and rewriting information is a great study tool for students because hearing and writing down information creates a much better understanding and chance for remembering. Turning to pencil and paper could help every student in their academics.

The final reason students should turn to pencil and paper is that it is easier to focus on paper than with a computer. Students can often get caught up in non school related things, like games, on the computer. Sometimes, I find myself searching up college basketball stats while taking notes. I see others playing sporcle quizzes, games or NitroType. Without these distractions, there would be more  focus on the teacher and school work and less on other enjoyments.

In conclusion, schools should focus more on pencil and paper than technology to help their students. Paper creates reliability, better comprehension, and focus.

View Comments (2)