The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Spring Break set at perfect length

Time and time again, students debate the length of seasonal breaks. As Spring Break starts at 2:30 p.m. today and summer break follows not far behind, that debate again arises.

The question is, ¨Should Spring Break be shorter in order to allow for a longer summer vacation?” Every year GHS students are given a minimum two-week break each season. Is taking away that convenience to add to summer really beneficial?

I think Spring Break and summer should remain the same. As my high school years come to an end and I reflect on past years, I can say that the timing and length of Spring Break have been a blessing.

I do not believe the decline of effort towards the end of the year is reserved for only seniors, and in the past, as Spring Break comes, I have been as ready as ever to take an academic break. Cutting that short would cause the student body a great inconvenience.

On Spring Break, some students take a vacation or relax at home, but regardless of how students spend their vacations, I think I speak for most students when I say that a break from academics is needed after a semester and a half of schooling five days a week and seven classes a day of quizzes, tests, lessons, notes, and homework. I believe considering all this stress with a shorter break, even if it’s just a week, students’ mental health could suffer as well as their motivation.

Some may argue that two weeks towards the end of the year with finals approaching and a consistent workload is causing students a disservice because of how long they go without academic stimulation. I do not agree with this argument. After more than two months following Winter Break, students may require that longer break to let their minds rest.

In my years at school summer vacation has already been cut shorter than it was when I was younger so why accommodate for that by cutting Spring Break as well?

Spring Break might be the break I value the most this time of year, and the idea of that being cut short does not appeal to me in any way.