Girls tennis launches season

By Adriana Crabtree, Mia Shaffer, Rosie Zi

With many new players this year on the girls tennis team, there are sure to be doubts about the team’s performance; many JV positions are filled with freshmen and players new to the sport.

“I am extremely confident in the girls this year; we all worked super hard in the off-season, and it shows in our playing now. I think we can go out and play our hardest and hopefully win a lot of matches this year,” freshman Kate Boyce said.

Freshman Lola Trent warming up during tennis practice. Rosie Zi photo

Many of the girls on the team are optimistic. According to senior Savannah McCauley, the season looks promising.

“I think our team has been practicing really hard all of Spring Break; even when it was optional, a lot of the girls showed up,” McCauley said.

With the significant number of new players and new additions to the varsity line up, there is no doubt improvements can be made to boost the team’s performance. 

“Everyone on the team has their own things to improve on, so it can’t be cut down to just one thing for the team. One thing for certain that all the players can work on is their confidence in their own abilities,” freshman Lola Trent said.

The loss of their first match against Roncalli and the many match cancellations due to weather suggests that even more challenges stand in the way.

“I think one challenge for us this season will be playing schools significantly larger than us. As many people know, Greenwood often plays very large and much more competitive schools, but the team will try their best to play up to their level and win as many matches as possible,” Trent said.

Though there are many obstacles to success this season, the determination of the girls keep junior Joelle Young optimistic about the outcome this year. 

“The team is doing great this year in many areas of the sport. Everyone gets along with each other, and we are constantly trying to build each other up. This is one of the most important aspects of the team that we try to encourage to win more games,” Young said.