Students celebrate Super Bowl

Sam Thompson, Reporter

The biggest annual sporting event of the year is back with a matchup of the Chiefs dynasty and the up and coming Eagles.

The NFL championship has been one of the most popular events in America for decades and it has led to many traditions for friends and families across the country. 

“I have probably been watching the Super Bowl for about 7 or 8 years. I usually have a Super Bowl party with my family. It is always so fun to have my family over to watch the game with me at my house,” freshman Landon Vaziri said. 

Since the first Super Bowl in 1967, the game of football has changed, and it continues to change just like the tradition of watching the Super Bowl.

“I’ve been watching the Super Bowl since my first one when the Colts won it all. When I was a kid, I would watch it with my family, but now I watch it with my friends, and we just hang out,” senior Aidyn Green said.

The Super Bowl is such a hyped event because it is the best of the best facing each other in one game to decide who will win the winner-takes-all game.

“I have been watching the Super Bowl since I was a kid, and I think the best Super Bowl was the Eagles vs Patriots because it was a great back and forth game and the underdog ended up winning because Nick Foles was a backup and he beat Tom Brady,” junior Tanner Crouch said. 

The Super Bowl is not only about the football game. Some people have made Super Bowl traditions, like enjoying the commercials, the halftime show, and the food.

“We make chicken wings with a homemade sauce. It’s like a buffalo sauce, and it’s really quick and easy to make. We have been making it for every Super Bowl for the past eight years,” Vaziri said.

Rihanna is making her first appearance at the Super Bowl for leading the halftime show which is a great honor because it will be seen by millions acrossed the country.

“One part of the Super Bowl that has become a tradition for me is watching the commercials during breaks and the half time show during the Super Bowl. My favorite half time show was the Shakira show in 2020 with Jennifer Lopez. It is definitely the best,” Green said.

Crazy and fun commercials are a huge part of what makes the Super Bowl so special. Celebrities like Jack Harlow, Serena Williams and, Rob Gronkowski will be making appearances  during the breaks between plays.

“I love watching the commercials during the Super Bowl. I have heard that Logan Paul will have a Prime commercial for the Super Bowl and I think it will be one of the best this year.  The commercials are always a fun break from the intense game to give me and my family a few laughs,” Crouch said.