Spy kids 5: Armageddon

After more than a decade, the 5th installment of the SpyKids franchise has been released, SpyKids: Armageddon. 

As a long-time fan of the SpyKids movies, this one failed to impress me. The CGI, in which they relied heavily, felt extremely old and clunky. It actually took away from some of the better parts of the movies, such as the practical effects.

While the movie’s CGI was terrible, the use of the practical effects and set design was amazing. From the home of the children to the secret underground bases, when using real materials, the movie looked fantastic. 

Another upside of the movie was the acting. Featuring a huge actor like Zachary Levi really helped me like the characters and follow the plots. The downside to this, though, was the mother role who felt extremely typical for a movie such as this although she did play the role especially well, providing a rhyme and reason that most parents would agree with. The children as well felt dull, but it was both of their first major films so it was understandable. 

I felt the overall movie was similar to other movies in this franchise. The plot felt almost identical to SpyKids 3, especially since they both revolved around an evil video game maker. The main differences between the plots were especially glaring since the only true difference was that they did not go in the game during SpyKids: Armageddon. 

After watching the movie and taking everything into account, I think the installment failed to meet my high standards for a Spy Kids movie. My final ranking for SpyKids: Armageddon on the Kramer Richter Scale is a 5.7/10.