The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

PDA & goofing off needs to stop

As the halls of GHS fill with students at the start of the first semester, a myriad of uncomfortable situations have emerged. 

Many students find themselves in uncomfortable situations walking down the hallway and seeing two students on top of each other, typically against a locker, kissing or making out. As students get older and interests arise, these things are normal for teens. But the last place this PDA should take place is in the locker banks. Students trying to get to class should not be interrupted by the random couple always holding each other in the locker bank before going into their Calculus class and taking a test. 

Not only are these events a distraction, it is downright awkward. There is nothing more uncomfortable than walking up to two teenagers pushing each other into the lockers making everyone around them uncomfortable as they do so. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a significant other and displaying love for them, but do it in a manner that does not make everyone want to throw up.

Other ways to display love is to hold hands, hug or even walk them to their class. A simple and easy fix to the social awkwardness created by PDA. Grinding in the hallways or in class at any time is yet another uncomfortable situation for both teachers and students. Control yourself and stay off of your partner’s lap and keep your hands away from areas others do not want to see be touched.

The final uncomfortable situation does not have anything to do with couples, but rather the students who enjoy running up and down the hallways. There is a five minute passing period built in for students to take their time moving from class to class. The average time a senior takes getting from 3rd to 4th period is 2 minutes and 25 seconds. That leaves nearly three whole minutes to sit down and prepare for the next period to begin. There is absolutely no reason to run down the hall and bump into and even run over fellow students. Yelling and shouting down the hallway is unwanted extra noise that no one wants to hear as well. 

Restraining from participating in any and all of these activities will result in a great school year and a low amount of cringing and awkwardness in the halls. Get to class quickly without yelling, please do not walk slowly and for everyone’s sanity, refrain from clogging the stairwells.