Freshmen should not attend Prom

The on-going debate of allowing freshmen to attend Prom rests in the minds of the upperclassmen and this year, there were rule changes. . 

In recent years, the number of freshmen and sophomores attending had been increasing. As both these groups are underclassmen and are technically not allowed to be in attendance at prom, but some went with significant others, which was not as bad, but some attended with friends. 

Allowing underclassmen to attend Prom took away the significance of the idea of Prom. The idea of waiting the first two years of high school for this rite of passage, and then freshmen being able to go their first year seemed unfair. Most people cannot find dates with juniors and seniors as sophomores and freshmen, which makes the idea of underclassmen attending unfair. Prom night is seen as a key milestone in the high school journey, and allowing freshmen to attend took away the importance of this event. 

This year, the Prom committee was strict on who was able to attend. Freshmen and sophomores were only able to attend if an upperclassman boyfriend or girlfriend brought them. Going with friends was not allowed, although some people still tried. It was hard for the Prom committee to make sure only juniors and seniors attended, although they tried their hardest.

Mrs. Iana Allen, Prom organizer, made it clear that only upperclassmen attend, unless with a date.  

The idea of freshmen attending is a major debate, and will probably stay that way for years. Should freshmen be able to attend? The answer is no. They should wait just like the rest of the current juniors and seniors did.