The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Freshmen should attend Prom

Year after year, sparkly dresses, dapper suits, and expensive meals return during Prom; year after year, underclassmen are restricted from attending. This restriction, while necessary in some people’s eyes, also restricts the potential of Prom.

The one exception to the underclassman rule is if they are dating upperclassmen, in which case they are allowed to purchase a ticket and attend the Prom as the upperclassmen’s date. But why is that the only exception? Underclassmen at Prom only mean enjoyment by more of the school’s population and more money that could go toward the Prom venue leading to bigger and better Proms. This increase in cash flow would quickly sway the minds of many upperclassmen Prom attendees due to the better Prom. 

Another upside of the acceptance of underclassmen at Prom is a larger group at the dance. The addition of more people makes for more activities, group dances, and more fun. The fewer people makes for a less exciting and less enjoyable Prom experience. I find the addition of more people to be a nice plus since I have friends in the lower grades and would enjoy spending my evening with both upperclassmen and underclassmen. 

Many people also attempt to bypass this rule by having older siblings buy tickets. This bypass not only breaks rules but also takes away tickets from other people who are allowed to go. The most simple fix to this is simply unbanning the underclassmen so that tickets are not wrongfully purchased leading to the uproar from the upperclassmen. 

The final reason underclassmen should be allowed is that some juniors date both freshmen and sophomores, and the ban causes many of these couples to be unable to attend.

Underclassmen at Prom would rid the problem of low funds entirely, and not only would increase the total number of students attending but also lead to a bigger and better Prom.