The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Should teens be trick-or-treating this year?

There is a lot of debate on whether high school students are too old to go trick-or-treating.

Trick-or-Treat was most people’s favorite part of Halloween, but as they get older, there really is not that much fun in going out. The reason it was fun when we were younger was because we had unlimited candy to eat that our parents could not say no to. As we got older and our parents no longer have a say in what we eat and not eat, especially when we can buy candy with our own money, trick-or-treating is not as fun. Also, adults do not give out as much candy to teens as they do for little kids. Often, adults will tell older kids that they are too old to be trick or treating, and then it ruins the mood for the rest of the night. It is just a waste of time walking around asking for free candy.

Dressing up can also be difficult for high school students since we do not have that many good options. Most stores sell Halloween costumes for kids, and the costumes online are mostly for adults but are not appropriate for high schoolers. Although most people DIY their Halloween costumes, it does not always come out the way they expect it to and people end up asking them “what are you supposed to be?” Coming up with unique and new ideas is also hard. For example, this year the movie Barbie is really popular, and I already know a lot of people who are dressing up as Barbie and Ken. Every year, people try to be characters from popular movies, but because everyone is dressing up as those characters, it gets repetitive and boring.

There are many fun alternatives to trick-or-treat for high schoolers: passing out candy, Halloween parties, going to haunted houses, etc.  I like passing out candy because seeing the costumes the little kids wear is fun. Parties are popular for high schoolers, and they happen, so a Halloween party is harmless. Lastly, haunted houses are so much fun, and there are many near Greenwood.  Because of these reasons, I find trick-or-treat to be boring. During Halloween, I work with my parents and older sister and pass out candy for the little kids.