Napoleon Movie Review

Napoleon is a great film. With its stunning visuals, outstanding performances, and a gripping story, the movie is a true success. Napoleon takes viewers back to the 19th Century and puts viewers in the life of one of France’s history figures, Napoleon Bonaparte. The movie shows viewers the important ins and outs of his life and takes viewers deeper into battles, political life, and personal life.

Napoleon is a visually beautiful movie that brings the old times to life. The movie takes us to battlefields, palaces, and the streets of Paris. The picture of this movie was truly amazing, and sitting in the theatre chair viewers really feel like viewers are part of a battle or Napoleon’s life. I could really tell that the movie had some thought put into it when I looked at the costumes and wondered how they got the battlefields into a set, like how some of the cannons get that close to the camera or how it is possible to film on an entire frozen lake.

The actors in this film are amazing too. Joaquin Phoenix’s performance as Napoleon is great, showing the ambition, intelligence and weaknesses of Napoleon Bonaparte. Vanessa Kirby as Josephine de Beauharnais and Paul Rhys as Talleyrand also give great performances.

The movie focuses on Napoleon Bonaparte’s rise and downfall and makes for a great history story. The film takes us through significant events, like the Italian Campaign where he led his outnumbered army to a victory against the Austrians and the Piedmontese. The main focus of the movie was Napoleon’s two biggest battles. first the battle of Austerlitz, which is my personal favorite, where Napoleon was undermanned again but still came out on top over the Russians and the Austrians by out-strategizing them and making them look like fools, and then the Battle of Waterloo, Napoleon’s final loss. After 23 years of battles, his troops were outnumbered by the combined forces with British, Dutch, Belgian, German, and Prussian units. 

The movie also hits a lot on him and his empress Josephine de Beauharnais. It shows the love and passion that the two had for each other. 

I personally enjoyed this movie because I like history and like to see how Napoleon changed the world by overcoming and reigning his government to the best of his abilities.