Netflix offers The Killer

The Killer is Netflix’s newest addition to their Netflix Original’s spy series. 

The Killer is a spy movie revolving around Michael Fassbender as “The Killer.” The Killer is a private hitman/spy who follows no race, religion, or government and simply completes missions for money. He never discloses his true name and is known as the best hitman in the world.

The movie opens up with the killer in an abandoned floor of an apartment building across from a high ranking government official’s penthouse. It then time-lapses over a week with the killer describing how he had never missed a shot and felt no guilt for killing. He then describes the time and steps it takes to complete a kill. On the night of the kill, he sets up the shot and for the first time ever, he misses and must cope with this while attempting to escape.

Michael Fassbender played the role of “The killer” perfectly. He was able to portray it in a way that it was not only mysterious but I was able to understand why he must stay mysterious. He also added a light sense of comedy through his complete lack of empathy and no sense of humor. Michael Fassbender played an excellent role and established a sense of both fear and anxiety in me when he was experiencing those emotions throughout the movie. 

The film was also directed by David Fincher who created masterpieces such as “Zodiac” and “The Social Network.” I felt in this movie that he took inspiration from “Zodiac” due to the focus on the background of the killings and the killer himself. Zodiac excelled at focusing on the murder themself rather than the murders which Fincher did in this film as well. 

If I had one critique of this movie it would be the pacing of it. It failed to keep me gravitated towards it. That being said, only a small part of it felt drawn out. The Pacing later in the movie began to settle in and was able to be interesting for most of the movie. 

After watching the movie “The Killer,” I will give it a rating of 8.5/10 on the Kramer Richter Scale.