The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

New Year’s is an underrated holiday

With all the joy and festivities brought by Santa Claus on Dec. 25th, kicking off the new year is pushed aside by Christmas, but it deserves some light as a great holiday for both family and friends. 

This holiday is at the top of my list as it is full of fun while staying up all night for New Year’s Eve.  My family’s tradition is to spend the whole night at my grandmother’s house where we hangout with family, play cards, and welcome the New Year together by watching the ball drop at midnight. We get to be together, and everyone stays up and has a great time all night. Even though my New Year’s Eve is spent with my family, some enjoy their traditions of spending their night with their friends and partying into the night. Anyone can find a way to enjoy their time by staying up until the clock strikes 12 and sharing some sparkling grape juice with important people.

After a morning of sleeping in, it is very common for my family to get together to enjoy a lunch or dinner to begin the New Year. I think it is great to be with the people closest to you to make sure the year starts off on the right foot. This day is supposed to set up the new and successful year full of good times and happiness. Everyone wants their new year to be better than the last, and this is a great time to get mentally prepared for the year as this concludes the holiday season in December.   

This is also a great time to take a look in the mirror and come up with New Year resolutions and find ways to better yourself for the New Year. This is a chance for a fresh start for some people as they create resolutions to join gyms, start diets, or just focus on being better people. This can create a very positive effect by focusing on something about themselves to better for the year and these resolutions create a drive for people to accomplish what they are wanting to change. Many people look to strive for better success in school, become healthier mentally and physically, and begin good habits like reading or volunteering. This is the perfect time to reflect and start a new and better life. 

Even though this holiday might not have all of the hype that other holidays bring, it is still a great way to come together with family and friends to start off the new year.