Quirky pets: perfect pets

Cats and dogs are a staple in many students’ homes, but some students take pets to the extreme, adopting strange, dangerous, or, to most people, downright ugly animals.

A rat is normally not what comes to mind when thinking of a pet, but for senior Brooklyn Bell, they are the first thing to come to mind.

“I have two rats named Butter and Pecan. Rats are actually surprisingly cuddly, and it’s funny because they love Cheeto Puffs and will almost climb out of their cage to get to them,” Bell said.

The work required is also a large plus for Bell since it allows her to easily get up and go without having to worry about her pets.

“It’s amazing because you only have to feed them really rat food like once a month. The worst part, though, is having to clean all their bedding; you have to do it like once every two weeks and it’s just a hassle,” Bell said.

Having a cute, cuddly, and friendly pet is generally the route most people take, except junior Eva Dean who took the arachnid route, adopting five tarantulas.

“I have five tarantulas named Kevin Durantula, Kylo, Trantalina Jolie, Quentin Tarantulino and Bob. I’ve always had an interest in bugs, and so when I saw them at Uncle Bill’s, it was a no brainer. They’re really easy to take care of; they only need to be fed once a week, hardly use the bathroom, and don’t need much food when fed. The only downside really is they need crickets so I have to go to the store every week and feed them with tongs,” Dean said.

Some people may see an animal as friendly or cute, yet they choose not to get that pet due to what they believe it takes to take care of that pet. Geckos are one of those few animals that get left behind due to “the requirements.”

“It was definitely a learning experience when I first got him, but now that I’ve got used to it the only true hassle is meeting the tank requirements. Their cage usually requires water to be sprayed down with water to make sure they don’t get dehydrated, and because of that you have to be careful to clean it so you don’t get algae in the water or mold,” junior Kiersten Frietzsche said.

Frietzsche not only chose this pet for its cuteness, though; she also picked it for its uniqueness and people’s curiosity around the animal.

“I really enjoy people asking me about the animal and wanting to know more about geckos and mine specifically,” Frietzsche said. 

A main reason for many families not to get a pet is because of the work required for it. Yet, sometimes an animal can be forced upon them, adding to their workload.

“My pet bunny, Harvey, is super soft and cuddly, but bunnies are a lot of work. They poop a lot, and you have to refresh their bedding every week. We never even wanted him. My sister just left him here when she moved out,” freshman Eli Martin said.