Would-be teachers experience classroom

Students take on the teacher’s life and teach what they have been taught. 

“The Principle of Teaching students have to have 20 supervised hours of volunteer service within a school setting. In order for the kids to get these, we do these field trips because I know the kids can’t drive or maybe have jobs so they can’t get these hours in. I do my best to make sure they get as many hours in during the school day as they can. This contributes to those hours that they need,” Mrs. Laura Stadtfeld, Principle of Teaching teacher, said.

This is an amazing opportunity to have, it lets students get the service hours and more practice in the classroom. 

“We basically just go and work with kids, and we also get to see a teacher’s day and what they do and how they interact with,” freshman Brooke Albertson said. 

The students in this class have had lots of fun with past field trips. 

“It’s about learning how to be more comfortable in a classroom and learn the different positions and roles in a school,” freshman William Corn said. 

Although it is nice to get a break from school and go have fun, it is important to remember to learn something while on this trip. 

“My goal is to get more tasks completed. We have a minimum of 15 tasks and last time I only got about 13 done. We have a goal of 15 tasks that we have to complete like being a line leader, lunch duty, and taking them to the bathroom,” Corn said. 

It is not just the high school students that get to learn and have fun. The kids in the elementary schools get to have a student teach them, and this gives their teachers some help to get caught up on some extra work. 

“The first field trip I made them be I a traditional classroom with real teachers, but this time they get to decide what role in the school they want to shadow like the nurse, behavioral coach, and even the principal just to give the idea that maybe they don’t want to be a teacher but instead work another area in the school,” Mrs. Stadtfeld said. 

Going into this field trip with the right mindset is important. It is very helpful to know beforehand what to do and what is needed to learn. 

“I want to try to learn more and more how to work with kids. I’m going to be working with special needs so I am excited about that and seeing how the different teachers deal with their kids,” Albertson said.