Mean Girls reboot excites fans of original

With almost a 10-year difference, Mean Girls has become relevant again. 

On April 30, 2004 teenage girls were forever changed. Then almost 10 years later, those same girls got to experience a piece of nostalgia with a twist. The new Mean Girls is a musical, and people have a love-hate relationship with that idea. 

The movie contains the same plot lines and even some of the same iconic lines, but the characters burst into song. There are 12 musical numbers in the new movie, and two of them were written specifically for it.

Although the two movies are different genres, there are some vital similarities. In both movies, the iconic line “On Wednesdays, we wear pink” is a staple. The characters still maintain their same characteristics as well. Regina thinks she is the Queen Bee. She is stuck-up, confident, and bossy. The Plastics perform their annual Christmas dance in both movies. And finally, Gretchen is still trying to make “fetch” happen. 

Of course, the movies have major differences as well.Of course Karen is known as the “dumb blonde”, but in the reinvention she is noticeably dumber. Another difference is the social media incorporation. When embarrassing events occur, they are immediately posted to social media. This causes word to get spread around a lot faster. Also, the theory that getting more likes on platforms automatically makes people “popular”. Finally, both movies include the iconic Plastic Holiday Dance, but they are represented differently. In the original, the music cuts out and Cady saves the day by singing acapella and the audience joins in. However, in the new movie, Regina attempts a backflip to put the attention back on her, but she falls flat on her face. 

When I saw the reinvention of Mean Girls, I was surprised. I did not previously know that it was a musical, but I still enjoyed the movie. I had watched the original movie several times, so it was nice to see the same movie but in a different form. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but if someone did not enjoy musicals, I would not recommend it because it is song heavy.

Mean Girls will always be a classic no matter the genre of movie.