Prom and dress shopping season begins

Brady Cave

As springtime nears, upperclassmen are beginning to search for their Prom attire.

Some people are right on it, and some people take their time buying their Prom outfits. Junior Audrey Scaramazzo did not hesitate.

“My birthday was just around the corner and I was already really excited for Prom. I went to Windsor, which is at the Greenwood Park Mall, and I convinced my mom to get me the dress I picked out for my birthday. I am super happy about what I got,” Scaramazzo said.

Prom is a staple of being an upperclassmen. Students do not even have to like school dances to like Prom.

“I never thought I’d be looking forward to Prom as much as I am. It has been a little hard to find something I really want and like, but I always do things last minute so I have some time to think about it,” senior Jake Callow said.

A common occurrence is friends matching at Prom.

“My friends and I have been planning since Prom last year to wear matching outfits to Prom. We are still talking about what color and how we want to do it, but it is definitely something we want to do. We are going to take a trip to Men’s Wearhouse soon to see what we may like,” senior Joshua Sirkin said.

Prom is not inexpensive to attend. At two local tux shops, Men’s Wearhouse and Louie’s Tux Shop, customers will not find a tux rental for under $100. However, tux rentals are head to toe and at Louie’s, they offer some help for students renting for Prom.

“We have an offer running right now where students renting Tuxedos for prom get a $50 off coupon. You can claim it online through our website, or we can send you an email to receive it upon in-store purchase. With that coupon subtracted from the price, our tuxedos range from $149.99-$189.99,” Mr. Logan Surber, Louie’s Tux Shop employee, said.

The best time to rent is as soon as possible for the best colors and styles.

“Students should get them as soon as possible. The closer you get to Prom, the more the selection will dwindle down and you may not be able to get the certain color you want,” Ms. Danielle Hartwell, Men’s Wearhouse employee, said.

There is a drastic range at Windsor.

“In our Prom collection, we have dresses for as low as $10 and as high as $250. Our affordable options are definitely what make us a common option for Prom dress shopping,” Ms. Emily Martin, Windsor employee, said.

Going to a local Bridal shop is a pricier option but still remains as one of the most prominent places to purchase Prom dresses.

“Our Prom dresses range from about $100 to upwards of $600. We have customers buying dresses now all the way until the week of the dance. However, if you want to have a broad selection, the sooner the better,” Ms. Sarah Lautz, David’s Bridal employee, said.

For seniors, Prom is almost a final hoorah and one of the last events before graduation so seniors make it a priority to look their best.

“I haven’t really thought about what to wear yet. All I know is that I have to look really good since it is one of the last things I get to do before graduating. Once it gets closer, it is definitely going to become more of a priority because I am super excited for it,” senior Ty Williamson said.